Rural Municipality of Brackley 14 Union Road, Brackley, PE, C1E 3J6
Advertisement: Part-Time Employment Opportunity.
Position: Part-Time Chief Administrative Officer
Location: The Rural Municipality of Brackley
The Rural Municipality of Brackley is a small quiet rural community consisting of two neighbourhoods, Brackley and Winsloe South. The Municipality has 596 residents and numerous commercial and industrial businesses, farm operations as well as smaller home-based businesses. Located at the northern boundary of the City of Charlottetown in the Province of Prince Edward Island, the Municipality stretches along Brackley Point Road and Winsloe Road and surrounding areas. The Community of Brackley was incorporated in 1983 and in December of 2017, Winsloe South amalgamated with Brackley forming The Rural Municipality of Brackley.
The Municipality is governed by a very dedicated team of volunteers elected to the positions of Mayor, Deputy Mayor and Council as well as a part-time Administrator. The Municipality also has a Development Officer and a Bylaw Enforcement Officer to deal with building permits, subdivision applications and bylaw enforcement.
The current CAO will be retiring after 12 years so the Municipality is seeking a strong candidate as its next part-time Chief Administrative Officer (CAO).
Reporting to and working collaboratively with Council, the CAO delivers administration and operations services for the municipality; serves as a key liaison with the Provincial Government; performs the role of ambassador for the Municipality proactively developing and maintaining relationships with the residents and businesses within our community; while ensuring activities, policies, bylaws and procedures align with legislation of the Municipal Government Act (MGA) and municipal best practices.
Along with the responsibilities described above, the CAO will develop policies and bylaws as well as develop and deliver quality programs and services that align with the Municipality’s Official Plan and Council’s direction. The CAO will pursue funding and administer funding for projects developed by the Strategic Planning Committee and the direction of Council.
The ideal candidate is someone who is a respected leader with a strong business and financial acumen and demonstrated skills in administering everything from daily administrative duties to fiscal management for the Municipality.
The Rural Municipality of Brackley is seeking an individual with a passion for community service; an outstanding communicator who engenders trust and confidence, has a track record of creating effective relationships based on trust and transparency across a broad constituency of public and private stakeholders. Other desirable characteristics include conviction, strong sense of good judgment, diplomacy, political acuity as well as cultural sensitivity; Forward thinking and dynamic, a bias to action and passion for building community growth. Most importantly, an open minded, inspiring, and a collaborative team player.
Major Responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Perform the duties of Chief Administrative Officer for the Municipality with responsibility for the overall daily administration of the Municipality;
- Administer the development and implementation of strategic performance management, engagement, and accountability systems;
- Administer the Municipality’s financial, statistical, and other information systems;
- Preparation and monitoring of annual budgets;
- Administer the Human Resource functions;
- Prepare minutes, agendas;
- Prepare resolutions, by-laws and policies;
- Prepare advertisements, publications and announcements;
- Maintain absolute confidentiality in non-public confidential matters;
- Administer records retention and ensure public access to records available to the public;
- Ensure good relations with other levels of government, other municipal governments, residents, PEIFM, businesses, stakeholders and service providers;
- Represent the municipality as media spokesperson when requested to do so by Council.
- Other duties as required by and directed by Council.
- Broad knowledge and experience of the principles and practices of finance and administration;
- Demonstrated experience in strategic planning and change management, budget and finance, policy development and business operations;
- Skilled in computerized information systems including financial packages, word processors, spreadsheets and databases and other related software;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Demonstrated initiative, sound judgement and financial acumen;
- Currently legally entitled to work in Canada;
- A passion for excellence in public service and public engagement;
- Have access to the use of a personal vehicle for conducting Municipal business.
- Reside in or willing to work in the Rural Municipality of Brackley;
- Prior experience working as a CAO for a municipal government;
- Extensive knowledge and experience of the principles and practices of finance and administration;
- A degree in Business or Public Administration or a related field of study;
- Five years of administrative management experience;
- Alternatively, a post-secondary education in a relevant discipline or equivalent experience through employment;
- Certification in a relevant discipline;
- Fluent in English;
- Bilingual or Multilingual language.
- Availability – Must be available for regular monthly meetings on the third Wednesday of each month at 7 PM for 2-3 hours (excluding July & August summer break).
- Must be available for attendance at committee meetings and public meetings as required which are scheduled on the bases of availability of participants of such meetings.
- Must be available at times during regular business hours to interact with service providers, government agencies and such;
- Physical Effort – work involves sitting for extended periods during monthly meetings and public meetings;
- Flexible Work Hours – including evenings and weekends but must be available to the public when called upon;
- Physical Environment – A public office will be made available for interactions with the public. Monthly Meetings and Public Meetings are held at our Brackley Commons at 14 Union Road.
- Occasionally off-site meeting locations are required in the conduct of municipal business;
- Sensory Attention – work requires computer screen time, attention to detail, frequent interruptions; interaction with government officials, stakeholders, staff and members of the public.
- Mental Stress – work will involve the responsibility of independent management, meeting deadlines, attending meetings and events after normal working hours and public speaking; interactions with Council, staff, stakeholders and members of the public.
Our compensation package:
Commensurate with experience and education, negotiable per annum contract paid monthly based on a minimum of 20 hours per week (some evening and weekend work required). Reimbursed expenses include mileage for Municipality related travel which is paid out monthly upon approval from Council. Hours will be flexible but as the CAO you do have to be available to the public.
The closing date for applications is midnight March 31st, 2023.
Interviews will be held by mid-April 2023. The position will commence immediately after the hiring process is complete, which is anticipated to be the end of April, 2023. The term of this contract is one year, with the possibility of extension(s).
Applications will be accepted via email addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Part-Time CAO Position Application” in the subject line of your e-mail or by mail:
The Rural Municipality of Brackley
Part-Time CAO Position Application
14 Union Road
Please Note: Drop-ins or phone calls to our current CAO about this job will not be accepted.
Questions about the hiring process or position can be emailed in confidence to email@example.com with “Part-Time CAO Position Application” in the subject line of your e-mail.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however only those under consideration for the
role will be contacted